A Family Experience and Gift

The following excerpt is a sacred experience which was shared

by my grandparents in the book Tongan Saints--

('Iohani is my grandfather and the child in this story is my aunt.)


It happened while Elder ‘Iohani Wolfgramm and his wife were serving a mission in their native Tonga, presiding over a branch on an outlying island. Their three-year-old daughter was accidentally run over by a loaded taxi. Four of the occupants of the taxi sorrowfully carried her lifeless body to her parents. “Her head was crushed and her face was terribly disfigured.”

The sorrowing helpers offered to take the little girl’s body to the hospital so the doctors could repair her severely damaged head and face for the funeral. I now quote the words of her father, Elder Wolfgramm: “I told them I did not want them to take her but that I would ask God what I should do and, if it was possible, to give her life back.”

The helpers took the little girl’s body into the chapel. Elder Wolfgramm continued: “I asked them to hold her while I gave her a priesthood blessing. By then the curious people of the village were flocking in to see our stricken little daughter. As I was about to proceed with the administration, I felt tongue-tied. Struggling to speak, I got the distinct impression that I should not continue with the ordinance. It was as if a voice were speaking to me saying: ‘This is not the right time, for the place is full of mockers and unbelievers. Wait for a more private moment.’

“My speech returned at that moment and I addressed the group: ‘The Lord has restrained me from blessing this little girl, because there are unbelievers among you who doubt this sacred ordinance. Please help me by leaving so I can bless my child.’ ”

The people left without taking offense. The grieving parents carried the little girl to their home, put her body on her own bed, and covered her with a sheet. Three hours passed, and her body began to show the effects of death. The mother pleaded with the father to bless her, but he insisted that he still felt restrained. Finally, the impression came that he should now proceed. I return to his words:

“All present in the home at that moment were people with faith in priesthood blessings. The feeling of what I should do and say was so strong within me that I knew Tisina would recover completely after the blessing. Thus, I anointed her head and blessed her in the name of Jesus Christ to be well and normal. I blessed her head and all her wounds to heal perfectly, thanking God for his goodness to me in allowing me to hold his priesthood and bring life back to my daughter. I asked him to open the doors of Paradise, so I could tell her to come back and receive her body again and live. The Lord then spoke to my heart and said, ‘She will return to you tomorrow. You will be reunited then.’ ”

The parents spent an anxious night beside the body of the little girl, who appeared to be lifeless. Then, suddenly, the little girl awoke, alive and well. Her father’s account concludes: “I grabbed her and examined her, her head and face. They were perfectly normal. All her wounds were healed; and from that day to this, she has experienced no complications from the accident. Her life was the miraculous gift from Heavenly Father during our missionary labors in Fo’ui.”

Comments

  1. That is amazing and so special. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing account of how powerful the Priesthood is! What a blessing-- and how faith-promoting. Can you imagine the faith needed? as the hours ticked by? Thank you for sharing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tender and unbelievable story..

    A great example of faith.

    Thanx for sharing..I need stories like every day..They strengthen my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those stories. I especially love that I know the people in the book. Your grand parents are truly amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing experience. I had goosebumps almost from the second I began reading this.
    Thank you for sharing that. So, was the little girl your mother, or an aunt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sooo cool, what faith that is.. amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for Showin' some love!

Popular Posts