Veterans Memorial Park


Although I do not miss the hot summers of Arizona--Arizonians are spoiled for the other eight months of the year. Salt Lake City is hit or miss when it comes to warm weather. Yesterday, I fired up the debate for "revenge of the Winter." Seriously...hail, snow, rain--and thats all at once?

Lately, its been all indoor activities. I am thinking about taking the kids to the West Valley Family Fitness Center--to go rock climbing. When the weather allows--I like to take the kids to the park. Amongst our most favorite parks is the Veterans Memorial Park in West Jordan, Utah.

A big draw for kids is the park's Wild West Jordan Playground, the largest playground in Utah. The innovative play structure was built by 6,000 community volunteers over a ten-day period. The playground covers two-thirds of an acre and contains over 12,000 square feet of play surface. The fully-fenced playground is divided into a tot lot area for two to five year olds and a larger area for five to 12 year olds. The crowning feature is a superstructure which contains 23 stair levels and a two-story curly slide. ( http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com)


In addition to the huge "Wild West" playground, there is a monument attributed to the US Armed Forces. In my opinion--this monument is the star attraction, but I am not going argue with my kids. I don't mind them running around burning up all their energies--returning home completely exhausted!

Veterans Memorial Park holds special significance for me. My father is a retired US Army Recruiter; having joined the Army right out of high school. I remember a decorative piece in our home that said "Home is where the Army sends us." Growing up as a military "dependent" was quite the journey. I had gotten used to restarting life every two years.

As I watch my children play, there is a solemn sorrow for the many who have been negatively affected by war. I appreciate and admire the young men and women who volunteer to defend this nation. At this moment, I am saddened by the thought of a child's mother or father not coming home. It is a bitter-sweet occasion when hearing about a casket returning home. There is a humble admiration for soldiers who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

My gratitude is best expressed in the words of Abraham Lincoln:

...from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.



Veterans Memorial Park
1985 West 7800 South
West Jordan, Utah 84084



Comments

  1. That park was fun, gotta go back again soon! I love this post baby! Luv u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a park I will definitely have to take my kids to one day. Ane let's go!! :) Kids are sooo energetic huh, wish I was that energetic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about I take you to the park and leave the kids with the sitter...Mother's Day 1 week away...FT&P...I can push you on the swing. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic park! What a great place to play! Your kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for Showin' some love!

Popular Posts