Parenting: What kind of adult do you want your child to become?

After our daughter's baptism, we went on a little adventure to the Temple Square. We took some fun pictures and enjoyed the sights. The kids were excited to be there.

After walking around for about and hour,  I told them that it was time to go home.  As we returned to our car one of the kids was asking if we could visit Temple Square again soon.   I told them that we would return as soon as we could.

 One of the kids had asked me how old they would have to be to enter the temple.  We had just looked at the small replica of the temple and they loved it.  I told them that they could enter the temple and do baptisms for the dead when they were 12 years old.  Also, our child asked me what they would have do to enter the temple.   I told them they had to be worthy and keep the commandments, obey the word of wisdom and to do all they can to remain worthy of those blessings.  Then this child of ours replied confidently, "Oh don't worry mom.  I am going to be really good,  when I grow up. 


For the remainder of the day,  this little conversation was stuck on my mind.

  • What kind of adult do we want our kids to become?  

  • What values and standards will they learn from our examples and teachings?

  •  What things can we implement or revise to prepare them for adulthood?  

  • What kind of parents do we want them to be?

Visualizing our children as adults has helped me to be more focused on what I need to improve on.  We only have one chance to raise them right.

I have decided and I am sure my husband agrees, that we must parent our kids and nurture them to the best of our abilities.  They grow up too fast,  and they need our guidance.  We want them to be the best.  We want them to succeed.  We want them to be healthy and especially happy.



I have a lot to work on.  There is plenty of room for improvement.  We are ultimately responsible to raise them to become great adults.   I am grateful for our children.   I love them so much!



I am grateful for the patience that they teach me...lol!  I am even more grateful that I have a great husband as a partner in parenting.

I love these articles regarding parent: 
http://www.lds.org/ensign/1990/11/the-greatest-challenge-in-the-world-good-parenting?lang=eng&query=parenting

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/love-her-mother?lang=eng

I am prayerfully and carefully making changes,  where they can be made.  I just need to stay focused.  Wish me luck!



{FT&P...love you always honey! ♥
You mean so much to me!  I hope you have a great week! ♥ u!


Comments

  1. What kind of adult do we want our kids to become?
    What values and standards will they learn from our examples and teachings?
    What things can we implement or revise to prepare them for adulthood?
    What kind of parents do we want them to be?
    ..............accidentally read your article about this. yes agree with you for prepare kids for adulthood. I hope i can think as yours when I have my kids one day. Let's pray.
    God Bless! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for Showin' some love!

Popular Posts